Table of Contents
DJI Osmo Pocket 4K Action Camera Review
The DJI Osmo Pocket 4K Action Camera combines the latest technology with a 3-axis gimbal and integrated camera that conveniently attaches to either your Android or iPhone. Capture 12 megapixel JPEG or DNG raw photos, along with stunning 4K, 60 fps video. This is the perfect gadget if you’re a YouTuber, podcaster, vlogger, travel buff, or professional videographer. Weighing in at just 4.1 ounces, this little dynamo is the ultimate in quality and convenience.
Don’t be fooled by the Osmo Pocket’s small size, its powerful features make it a cinematic wonder that’s jam packed with the most up-to-date features. It’s the smallest and most compact handheld camera DJI has designed and promoted to the public. The Osmo Pocket is used in conjunction with the DJI Mimo smartphone app, which gives you access to a library of creative functions, including Face Track, Motionlapse, and Active Track.
The app offers comprehensive and intuitive editing tools to take your videos and photos up a notch, and was designed specifically for the Osmo Pocket. Enjoy live HD viewing, dynamic slideshows, quick-editing tools, and a myriad of filters, audio templates, and watermark stickers. You can also upload and share videos in the app.
DJI Osmo Pocket Camera / Functionality and Performance
The DJI Osmo was launched in December of 2018 as a one-of-a-kind portable gadget that supports an assortment of optional accessories, all without the cost, bulkiness or complexity of a DSLR. The device boasts exclusive features, including the ability to change the white balance and exposure in camera, panning and tracking, and some pretty fantastic capabilities like the ability to produce hyperlapse, slow-motion, and timelapse videos.
Vloggers will love the Story Mode feature, which is great for throwing together video clips to construct a story. Edit clips, add music, titles, and transitions, the only downside is only 720p videos are supported. In my opinion, this is a high enough resolution for social media. If you want better resolution, you can always use a third-party app. The Face Tracking feature works well for either tracking your own face while shooting selfies or for tracking a subject’s face, and keeping it in the frame. However, this feature won’t work while shooting 4K/60fps video.
The Osmo Pocket is essentially a drone camera mounted on a gimbal for exceptional stabilization. It measures roughly half the width of a regular-sized iPhone, bu not quite as tall. This miniature device packs a hefty punch in terms of its functionality, features, and performance, especially considering the cost is under $400.00. It’s a technological wonder that captures brilliant 4K video, and enables 12-megapixel photos in either raw or JPEG.
Firmware Updates and Audio
DJI is continually updating the firmware to keep both the device and software up to date. This allows you to take advantage of the latest advancements. If you’re not familiar with how a gimbal works, it’s a stabilization device, which enables you to walk and film while keeping the camera steady. I prefer a gimbal over a tripod any day because it doesn’t inhibit my mobility, and eliminates the hassle of wrestling with a video head. Using a gimbal does take a little getting used to as a beginner, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll love how smooth it operates.
The Osmo Pocket has two microphones, one on the bottom, and one below the universal port. The functional is quite good, just make sure to not cover the bottom mic with your hands while handling. DJI makes a 3.5mm adapter that supports an external microphone if you find you need better audio quality.
- 3-axis gimbal and camera
- Dimensions: 11.2 x 10.9 x 8.1 inches
- Compact, sturdy, and lightweight design
- Captures 12MP JPEG and raw images
- Records 1080p, 4K video (60 fps)
- 1/2.3″ sensor and f/2.0 aperture
- 80° FOV images (field of view)
- 100 Mb/s bit rate recording (affects video quality and recording duration)
- 128GB micro SD card
- Connects to iPhone or Android for a larger display and easier viewing
- Rechargeable Li-Po battery (lithium polymer)
- Device is registered and activated via DJI Mimo smartphone app
- Osmo Pocket Camera with cover
- Smartphone adapters (lightning and USB-C)
- Power cable
- SanDisk 128 GB microSD card
- SanDisk adapter
- Microfiber cleaning cloth
- Touchscreen viewfinder with functional menu
- Shoots timelapse, motion lapse, and slow-motion video
- Unobtrusive to use in public settings
- Create brilliant bokeh with f/2.0
- Captures stunning video and raw stills
- Pro settings and full-manual control
- Smooth gimbal with impressive stability
- Great tracking and focus
- Wide-angle shooting feature
- Powers on in 5 seconds
- Great for vlogging and travel
- Attaches to smartphone for easier viewing
- Fast video transfer
- Diminished sound quality and minimal noise may be noticed in less-than-optimal lighting conditions when using higher ISOs
- No zoom function
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I buy extra batteries?
Answer: No, the battery is internal. It comes with a 6-month warranty.
2. What is the largest SD card I can buy?
Answer: 236GB is the largest card that the Osmo Pocket supports.
3. What accessories are available?
Answer: Here’s a list of optional accessories:
- Waterproof Case: protects Osmo Pocket from water damage, supports depths of 60 m, brackets for additional accessories
- Wireless Module: charging port, supports remote control via wireless connection
- Expansion Kit: wireless connection supports remote control, accessories port, precision gimbal control
- Extension Rod: retractable rod with phone holder, mounting brackets for more shooting options, 1/4″ tripod mount.
- Accessory Mount: accessory mounting bracket for shooting in various situations
- Controller Wheel: navigation for quickly switching between gimbal modes, precision gimbal control
- ND Filter Set: a variety of high-quality filters to reduce light and enhance creativity
- 3.5mm Adapter: Supports external microphone for superior audio
- Charging Case: Store the Osmo Pocket and accessories, while charging on the go.
4. Is there a built-in microphone?
Answer: Yes, there are two microphones, one on the bottom, and one on the front of the device below the universal port.
5. What is the warranty on the Osmo?
Answer: The Osmo Pocket comes with a 6-month warranty, with one accidental damage replacement. You can, however, purchase a 2-year warranty for additional coverage.
The major advantage of using the DJI Osmo Pocket is that you can achieve the same results (well, almost) as you would using equipment that costs significantly more. Get comparable functionality with the added convenience of a lightweight, affordable, and ultra-compact device. Capture vivid stills and high-quality 4K footage for a fraction of the cost of more expensive gear. Overall, you’ll get superb performance using a tiny gadget that will fit in your pocket, and can be operated with one hand. Because of its size and convenience, you won’t want to leave home without it. It doesn’t get better than that…
Does the DJI Osmo Pocket sound like a winner? Let me know in the comments:)